Friday, May 15, 2015

Taking a detour


It happened much sooner than I had expected: I completed The Guardian Project! It's so funny, when I was getting ready to begin with the project it seemed so huge I thought I'd never make it beyond the first week, and now, less than four months later, I've completed the (apparently impossible) task. 

I've drawn all the How To Draw... series published so far, some of them even more than once.  I should be bailando en una pata, like my mom used to say -it's a saying in my country that literally means dancing on one leg, and it's actually used to mean something like happy as a lark-, but I'm actually kind of disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I've had a great time -in fact, I hadn't enjoyed myself this much since I was 10!-, and I guess that's exactly the problem. 

You see, for me, this whole adventure has been like a daily party, and I don't want the fun to end. I know I can keep drawing everyday, but I also want to keep learning on a daily basis -learning to draw different characters, animals, landscapes and objects (and everything else!), filling my artist toolbox with more and more tricks and cool techniques. 

The matter had been haunting me for the last few weeks, and every new guide took me closer to this dreaded point, where I feared I'd end up lost and adrift. But there was this crazy idea with its deam glow, shimmering at the bottom of my mind, buried under a mountain of fear and confusion. 
What if I searched for some new tutorials on different realms of the WWW, beyond the cozy boundaries of The Guardian's HTD guides? What if I took this mad venture one step further, and aimed for even more artistic knowledge by reverse engineering some of the top kidlit artworks in the world?

Although these seemed to be the best (and most obvious) options, I was afraid to lack the discipline and perseverance to dive into such deep waters without losing myself in the process. But as the fatidic moment approached, without any alternative options at sight, that's exactly what I decided to do. 

So, to sum up all this endless verborragia -even I'm getting sick of it!-, I'll begin to work on other tutorials (I'll label these illustrations as The (Alternative) Guardian Project), but I'll stick to The Guardian HTD series anyway (as soon as they materialize in the blogosphere). 

Thanks for sticking around! Stay tuned for more novedades!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...